Backache

Up until around the second trimester, your bump will probably grow much like a singleton pregnancy – but hold on! Commonly, from around 20 weeks the accelerated growth really does begin to take its toll on us. It is a rare and lucky mummy who does not experience any back pain or discomfort.

Many mummies say that continuing with some really gentle exercise helps them here – and luckily for us pregnancy yoga classes are becoming more and more common. Swimming is marvellous too and where we are so lucky in the Middle East with a climate that permits year-round pool-wallowing.

When my back was really complaining I developed a technique of bobbing up and down the local pool astride two of those long polystyrene ’noodles’ like I was riding a horse. As my bump got bigger, I got lower and lower in the water and it was the most divine relief imaginable!

Lower back and pelvic area discomfort can also be common. Occasional sharp pains, often in one side, can be common later in pregnancy and are often as a result of the loosening and relaxing of the pelvic area generally, in preparation for birth. Do mention this to your doctor and as ever remain ready to contact your doctor if you have serious concerns. Another bonus to our Arabian home is the availability of door-to-door service from taxis, and most malls and large shops and hotels carry wheelchairs which can be requested for free.

I made the most of my temporary immobility to cruise around Ikea in a mall wheelchair, cradling my bump. It is the best way of parting the crowds on a Friday lunchtime that I have found…

Specific pelvic girdle pain is characterised by stiffness, discomfort or instability of the pelvic joints area and can also be felt sometimes down the thigh area towards the knees. Some women even feel a grinding or clicking sensation from their joints. It isn’t harmful, and the body’s gradual return to a state of normalcy in the months following birth usually see this ending.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here